While the primary function of the transmission is to couple the engine to the driveline and provide torque ratios between the two, numerous advances in controls technology have made the transmission considerably more efficient over time. This course provides a basic coverage of the Powertrain Control Unit (PCU) and Transmission Control Unit (TCU) technologies including how they function, their differences, and their technical and operational benefits.
By completing this course, you will be able to identify, recognize or articulate:
- Powertrain and transmission control units are and how they are used in modern vehicle transmission systems
- Similarities and differences between PCUs and TCUs
- How PCUs/TCUs work as a standalone unit and as part of the larger vehicle control system
- How to compare and contrast the various underlying functional concepts of PCU/TCU technology
- Technical, operational, and functional benefits of incorporating (compared to discrete non-systemic control architecture) PCU/TCU to the OEM
- All the various manifestations and configurations of PCU/TCU technology as applied to actual and/or conceptual transmission systems of today
Who Should Attend
The intended audience for this course is powertrain engineers, component suppliers, vehicle platform powertrain development specialists, and those involved in the application, design and discussion of transmissions, transmission systems and a basic concept of in-vehicle communication theory.
Learners should have an undergraduate engineering degree and ideally a fundamental understanding of modern vehicle transmission systems.
- Fundamental explanation of Powertrain Control Units (PCU) and Transmission Control Units (TCU)
- Core technology development as it applies to designing and developing new transmissions to improve powertrain efficiency, reduce vehicle emissions and optimize powertrain performance
- Review all the various inputs to and outputs from common PCU/TCU technologies
- High-level system architecture
- Powertrain layout
- Overlay PCU/TCU on transmission architecture
- Applicability to hybrid transmission control